Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Changing To A Raw Diet

Well I am going to try a raw diet with Edgar. I have been dealing with his itching skin problems by trying medicines, special shampoo's, vet prescription food, and various other nice dog foods (such as Solid Gold and Flint River Ranch). Nothing seems to be helping. Just recently I switched his food over to Taste Of The Wild to see if a grain free diet would solve his itching problem. While I think that the product is a nice one (and proved that he was allergic to grains because the itching went away) it didn't help. It made him very gassy (knock you over dead type all day long) and he keeps having bouts of diarrhea. I had his poop tested and it came back fine so the only thing I can think of is that it is not agreeing with his stomach.

Tonight we are driving over to Whole Foods to get some meat to start him off with. I ordered a vitamin supplement online from animalessentials.com (Thanks Tammy) to go along with the diet today.

I know that some people when they do these diets they do all meat while others will do part meat with added veggies. Some only do certain types of meat while others will cook the meat first instead of doing it raw. I plan on trying out the raw meat with veggies first. I hope this goes well and will update as I go along.

No comments: